Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Friday... Thoughts and Other Musings

Yesterday was an interesting day... Not exactly how I planned on spending it but here goes. 

Started on Thursday with us getting home late from church and E getting to bed late. Lee said he would be up for taking E to MMO in the AM which makes my life monumentally easily for 55 minutes in the morning. Husband = love. Went to work - had a relatively uneventful time there. Did manage to get our $ back from a steamship line that has been holding it for 6 weeks! 

Picked E up for MMO and we got ready to go to lunch with her friend. Now J is about 9 months older than E so she knows the ropes a little better than E. For example the candy jar. MMO has a candy jar that kids get a treat if they were good. This is fine however with naptime impending I don't like E to have anything and most of the candy in there are Dum-Dums and I definitely don't trust her with lollipops quite yet. So it is super cute to watch the drama unfold - as J's mom is taking baby S to the car and E comes out of the room J hands E a Dum-Dum (Blue Raspberry in fact - good choice!). E proceed to unwrap it and pop it in her mouth. The ladies/teachers freakout (kinda - dramatic I know : ) because they know E does not get candy. I'm not up for the fight so I really am not that worried about it. Side note - I really try my best to bring E a treat - those insanely expensive yogurt melts and I think she might actually prefer them!

Anyways we hit up the local Chik-Fil-A for lunch. What pregnant woman does not LOVE CFA? I hear they have not made their way up North and that is a bummer. CFA is awesome because aside from the food there is a dedicated kids play area. You probably will never appreciate this unless you are a parent. McD's is moving in the direction of not having these kid areas but if you have a toddler you know eating attention span is all of 2.5 seconds. E and J decide they are done with lunch and that it was time to play. Now for more wisdom of a toddler... 

Both E and J are either too small or not strong enough to get past the 2nd step on the stairs to the slide. J has mastered the artful craft of begging for help to get up. After about 20 minutes of watching and trying to figure out what to do E convinces one of the big kids to help her. Helpy helpy? she says. Now I am a responsible parent and there was seriously no more than 4 other kids in the play area and they were playing relatively calmly - otherwise there is NO WAY I would have let E go up there. The big kids show her the ropes of the play area and then I hear her screaming... Down the slide. I thought it was her sad/mad scream but seriously when she got out of the slide, she was probably super happy. She only begged her way up one more time before it was time to go. 

J's mom and I had a nice time catching up though I it kind of difficult in the noise of a CFA kids area plus baby S was having reflux issues so hopefully she's feeling better! Once we move I will finally be able to host (or hostess - I guess hostess is not a verb) playdates and kids and moms can be in different rooms! It is still crazy to me that I can relate to women who I really do not know 'that well' but because we have kids about the same age there is an automatic connection which I am so thankful for. Makes me feel less of an outsider in the Mount. At MMO E has two little friends J and E whose mommys have baby #2 or baby #2 is coming so we are totally in the same boat!

After a small battle to leave E and I made it home in time (actually way late but its Friday) for a nap. E did not fall asleep in the car which is ESSENTIAL to a successful naptime. Lee and I catch up for 5 seconds check in and get some of those Friday afternoon grind emails done. Then I get a call from my boss who has decided to get me a phone! Sweet!!! Why??? Because I desperately need to be connected to my work email on days that I am not in the office so people are not waiting hours to get an answer. I know it sounds lame but seriously responding to an email in time, saves nine - no, no, save me headache and stress. So I am SUPER GRATEFUL that he agreed but that the phone is an iPhone. I have been an Apple junkie since I started photo-j in 2005 at UNC and I have not been disappointed. In fact my MacBook Pro 2006 model was going to get the dump this year for an upgrade but with new baby and buying a house I think that it will have to hold on a little while longer!

Speaking of buying things my last great adventure of Friday - yes we are still on the same day - was a surprise trip to Raleigh-world to check out and ultimately purchase a glider. Now I have been obsessing over the PBK glider. It is seriously $1000 and not in the cards - at all. In fact I must admit I felt guilty even getting this glider knowing about all the insane expenses we have coming up. I found this glider on Craigslist and the woman said that she got it for $1500 4 years ago - well I did some research on the model and it is entirely possible that she did spend that much but more importantly the price point was the same as the PBK one. She was selling it for about 25% of its original value and there were others interested so journeyed to Raleigh for the second time in 24 hours! On the way I realized I really had not thought this out. How was I going to get this in my car? Where was it going to go - I do not have the tidiest car ever - please just ask Lee. So I call my dad - of course - and tell him about my plan and then I think well I cannot lift anything either so then I call my brother to see if he can help. When you have an hour to drive your gears can really start cranking out good, well-thought out information whereas in the heat of the moment that does not happen. Fortunately Uncle Kev broke from his car activities to help me out! Swung by my parents to get Dad, talked to Mom on the phone, attempted to raid the Famous Amos stash and cookie tin much to Kevin and mine disappointment there were no cookies to be found. Went and picked up the glider - it will probably have to be reupholstered sometime but it is a hardwood piece of furniture that is a keeper for sure. I think I will be living it that chair really soon and I am super excited about it. The woman nursed both her babies in the chair so I have high hopes. Dad and Kevin got the chair in the car and did not even have to leave anything in Raleigh! I treated Kevin to CFA for his trouble and raced back to the Mount. 

Explain to me how this all happened in one day? Probably won't be doing anything similar with two : )

Happy Weekend!

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment